Re: disassembly options

On Monday 17 September 2007, Nick Clifton wrote:
>  > The next question is - what is the most generic way to keep the memory
>  > mapped register address <-> names?
>  >
>  > I was thinking/hoping that an external xml file would be the
>  > best/easiest way.  (Since we already use something like this for an
>  > eclipse plugin).
>
> Hmm, I think that this would be overkill.  Presumably you are not going to
> write your own XML file parser, and I really would not want to see a new
> dependency upon a new host library added to objdump.  (Especially given
> that the binutils are often built to run on small OSes which may not have
> an XML parsing library).  If you need to map memory addresses to names a
> simple text file will do the job just as well.

we're looking at doing XML because the proprietary Blackfin toolchain group at
ADI already maintains a bunch of XML files that describe all Blackfin
parts ... that way we dont have to maintain them :)

but with a little xsltproc glue, we could easily transform those XML files
into a flat address <-> name mapping ...
-mike