Re: What is `bfdname` referred by objcopy manpage?

Hi Guys,

The manpage of objcopy says:

-O bfdname
--output-target=bfdname
	Write the output file using the object format bfdname.

I have no idea what is bfdname.

It would probably be clearer if we used "<target>" here, or maybe "<supported target type>". That way the connection with the last few lines of the --help output would be more obvious.

Even if I often use `mips-elf-objcopy -O binary a.exe a.bin`, I don't know
what is the exact meaning of -O binary

In this context "binary" is an unfortunate choice of name since it refers to a file format called "binary" which is designed to be very simple and space efficient, so that it is often used in embedded devices. It does not necessarily mean that the contents of the data in such files can only be executables; it is also possible for them to contain data and text.

So the "-O binary" command line switch does not mean "convert the input file into the binary numbering system". The input is already in the binary numbering system (as is everything in computers). It means "convert the input file from its current file format into the file format called 'binary'".