Re: PATCH: Map GNU attributes section to PT_GNU_ATTR (aka PT_GNU_STACK) segment

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 10:11:05AM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 06:53:58AM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 09:43:10AM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > > I don't think this patch is a good idea.  I would prefer to back it
> > > out until there is a clear use case and support from at least one
> > > consumer.
> >
> > I have got a request to mark a binary for a totally different ABI than
> > the normal one. They wanted to use ELF header to mark the ABI. But the
> > bits in ELF header are very limited. The attribute section is
> > perfect for this.
>
> I stand by my request.  Please at least talk to Jakub about this
> before you go changing program headers.

Also, I see that ARM defined a separate ARM-specific program header
for the sort of information you want; look for PT_ARM_ARCHEXT in
http://www.arm.com/pdfs/aaelf.pdf.

The contents are deliberately not in the same format as
.ARM.attributes, because .ARM.attributes is not designed to be
efficient to parse.  Also a lot of it - e.g. per-function and per-file
attributes, which the GNU tools do not yet generate - is uninteresting
to the loader.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery