Re: SPU overlay example?

Marcus Daniels wrote:

> However, I was trying to run the executable directly (with the help of
> the binfmt_misc kernel module) and that apparently is different from
> issuing my own SPE calls in a my own PPE loader program.  I noticed that
> the _EAR_ wasn't initialized, and guessed that it wasn't setting up the
> PPE memory in the needed way.

It should work for a stand-alone SPE executable as well; elfspe (libspe)
should fill in the _EAR_ value at load time.  Maybe the libspe version
you were using didn't support that correctly?  (Although the code should
be in since SDK 2.0 ...)

> It runs now with that overlay scheme,
> and I'm surprised by how fast the overlays are.   Around a factor of 4
> worst case vs. no overlays.

That's good to hear!

Bye,
Ulrich

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand
  GNU Toolchain for Linux on System z and Cell BE