Re: RFC: Adding a check to the top level configure script for a binary-mounted cygwin-hosted build directory

Hi DJ,

I agree, I think it would be very good to have this check available in the main autoconf sources.

Except that it would penalize MinGW and DJGPP since they don't have a "binmode" concept. We've put a lot of work into keeping track of binary vs text files, why give up on it now?

Are the problems described in PR 4334 also present when building under MinGW or DJGPP ? If not, then we can keep this new autoconf test as a Cygwin specific test.

If those problems are also present then I would agree with you that we need to fix the binutils build process.