Re: Renaming mingw64 to mingw* for x86_64 architecure

On 1/8/07, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
Hi Kai,

> Reasoned by some discussion with Ben Elliston I renamed the target name
> for x86_64-pc-mingw64 to x86_64-pc-mingw32. It is just a double naming of
> a 64-bit architecture and the API of mingw (and of MS) is still the Win32
> API with some small extensions for the new windows (Vista) version.
> Therefore it looks for my self reasonable to unify the OS extension for
> this platforms.

I am confused on a point here. First, the mingw community has stated that the name of their platform is "mingw", not "mingw32" or "mingw64". From the FAQ:

"The project's name changed from mingw32 to MinGW is to prevent the
implication that MinGW will only works on 32 bit systems (as 64 and
higher bit machines become more common, MinGW will evolve to work with
them)."

Therefore, the target should be x86_64-pc-mingw.

Second, this target name must agree with the target name for gcc,
correct?  The target name for gcc is x86_64-pc-mingw64, as I
understand it.  It seems like both the targets for binutils and gcc
should be x86_64-pc-mingw.

Now, granted, I am very new to this community, and this is probably
the wrong place to voice my thoughts.  If anyone can provide helpful
feedback, it'd be appreciated.