Re: PATCH: PR binutils/3826: elf_object_p can't tell freebsd object file from standard ELF object file

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 03:08:25PM +1030, Alan Modra wrote:

> > That is enirely reasonable to reject such object file since it may
> > contain info we don't know how to handle properly. If we can handle
>
> I disagree.  We ought to try our best to handle an object file with
> an unexpected OSABI, particularly if the unexpected value is
> ELFOSABI_NONE.

It is the other way around.  GNU linker can handle ELFOSABI_NONE. I
believe it is OK to reject an ELF file with an unexpected OSABI, which
isn't ELFOSABI_NONE, and we don't know how to handle it properly.

H.J.