This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Dynamic linking to specific .so versions
- From: Simon Richter <Simon dot Richter at hogyros dot de>
- To: Lluís Batlle <viriketo at gmail dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 18:33:28 +0100
- Subject: Re: Dynamic linking to specific .so versions
- References: <email@example.com>
Lluís Batlle wrote:
> I'd like to know what is the algorithm of choosing ".so.X", and not
> ".so.X.Y", or ".so". Is that hardcoded and unchangeable in ld? Is that
> Linux-ELF specific? Can that be changed?
The .so object contains a header field that tells ld what to link
against. The symlink ending in .so is used to open the "current"
version, which then contains the name that is used.