This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [patch/rfc] new configure option for bfd for inserting vendor version info
- From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false dot org>
- To: Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo dot org>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 01:01:27 -0400
- Subject: Re: [patch/rfc] new configure option for bfd for inserting vendor version info
- References: <email@example.com>
On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 07:42:40PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> this simple patch adds a new flag to bfd's configure so people (like
> distributions or companies making their own releases) can easily insert a
> little bit of their own info into the --version output ... this is akin to
> gcc's VERSUFFIX in gcc/version.h, except the binutils is a bit more stream
> lined ...
> comments ? good idea/bad idea/waste-of-time ?
Joseph noticed recently that the GNU Coding Standards actually have a
typical location for this, and it's not where you'd expect it to be -
actually it's in front of the version. Handy partly because it doesn't
mess up autoconf checks for version numbers in the same way.
We've got patches for a bunch of tools... Someone ought to post those,
but you know how it is - never enough time. I'll try to do it next
week if no one else here has a chance.