Re: PATCH: PR ld/3111: LD very slow linking object files containing dwarf2 symbols

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 04:00:12PM -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:
> When we are comparing symbols in a section against another section in
> a different file, we swap in 2 symbol tables, sort them and free the
> symbol tables for each section. It is a O^2 problem. When there are
> many sections and symbols in a file, it can be very slow. This patch
> caches the symbol table unless --reduce-memory-overheads is used. The
> results for the testcase are

Remind me again exactly why we are doing symbol comparisons.  I
understand that you compare symbols so that old-style .gnu.linkonce
sections can be used along with the newer comdat sections, and only one
copy kept. However, bfd_elf_match_symbols_in_sections also compares one
comdat section with another.  Why?  If you didn't compare comdat
sections like this, then only people mixing old and new-style link-once
sections would pay a penalty.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre