This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Long linking time
- From: Nicolas Savoire <nicos at maunakeatech dot com>
- To: "Talbot, George" <Gtalbot at locuspharma dot com>
- Cc: "H. J. Lu" <hjl at lucon dot org>, "Alan Modra" <amodra at bigpond dot net dot au>, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:06:55 +0200
- Subject: Re: Long linking time
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I confirm that.
I saw no improvement when using binutils-184.108.40.206.3 from
Though I found a patch
(http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2006-04/msg00329.html) which reduces
linking time from 6 minutes to 20 seconds!
On Monday 28 August 2006 15:02, Talbot, George wrote:
> Do you mean that the patch is already in the source distribution for
> The caching patch is not in binutils-220.127.116.11.3, from what I can tell.
> I don't mean to be dense, but I did have to put it in there myself, and
> it wasn't in the README at the top-level of the source tree.
> Let me know what I'm missing here.
> George T. Talbot
> -----Original Message-----
> From: H. J. Lu [mailto:email@example.com]
> Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 10:44 AM
> To: Talbot, George
> Cc: Alan Modra; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
> Subject: Re: Re: Long linking time
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 08:17:37AM -0400, Talbot, George wrote:
> > I tried the latest version. It didn't help that much. I then
> > hand-applied the patch that caches the value of the kept symbols, and
> > that helped a dramatic amount. I would strongly argue for the
> If you follow README for the latest Linux binutils, that patch should
> be applied.