This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: "gdb vmlinux" gives wrong symbol addresses
- From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false dot org>
- To: Vivek Goyal <vgoyal at in dot ibm dot com>, gdb at sourceware dot org, Dave Anderson <anderson at redhat dot com>, binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 21:54:30 -0400
- Subject: Re: "gdb vmlinux" gives wrong symbol addresses
- References: <20060818183807.GD12962@in.ibm.com> <20060818184837.GA1980@nevyn.them.org> <20060821013829.GA20576@bubble.grove.modra.org>
On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 11:08:29AM +0930, Alan Modra wrote:
> I think that for ET_EXEC and ET_DYN gdb should ignore relocs that use
> the normal symbol table. Sane ELF targets will have dynamic reloc
> section(s) with sh_link pointing at a symtab section with sh_type of
> SHT_DYNSYM. --emit-relocs creates reloc sections with sh_link pointing
> at a symtab section with sh_type of SHT_SYMTAB.
This amounts to always ignoring relocations; GDB only uses relocations
for debug sections, which will never point at SHT_DYNSYM (I don't