Re: PATCH: The current linker failed to generate working Linux kernel

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 09:39:01PM +0930, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 07:45:53AM -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:
> > I checked in 2 testcases.
>
> You have no right to commit testcases that currently fail.
>
> > One of them fails due to the changed linker behavior.
>
> Of course it fails!  You've written contrived testcases that depend on
> the old behaviour.  I deliberately changed the default linker behaviour,
> believing that it was unlikely to affect any real-world scripts.  I
> still believe it is a reasonable change, even though it caused a failure
> with a linux kernel script of dubious validity that happened to work
> previously.  Any such failure is easily rectified by adding AT(.) to
> a section that needs lma == vma.

The old behavior is documented in the linker manual and is being used.
If we change the linker behavior, the documentation should be updated
to reflect it. The failed testcase can be modified for the new
behavior. I don't think we should change the linker behavior and
keep the linker documentation as is.

H.J.