Re: RFC: Add dynamic list to version script

Hi,

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Alan Modra wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 09:59:50AM -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:
> > +  binding_stays_local_p = (info->executable
> > +			   || info->symbolic
> > +			   || (info->dynamic && !h->dynamic));
>
> > +@kindex --dynamic-list=@var{dynamic-list-file}
> > +@item --dynamic-list=@var{dynamic-list-file}
> > +Specify the name of a dynamic list file to the linker.  This is
> > +typically used when creating shared libraries to specify a list of
> > +global symbols whose references shouldn't be bound to the definition
> > +within the shared library, or creating dynamically linked executables
> > +to specify a list of symbols which should be added to the symbol table
> > +in the executable.  This option is only meaningful on ELF platforms
> > +which support shared libraries.
>
> Your documentation doesn't agree with what the patch does.  In a
> previous email you said
>
> > It will bind all symbols locally except for those on the dynamic list.
>
> which is quite different to the description in ld.texinfo.  Please fix.
> Also, if you really mean that if --dynamic-list is specified then all
> symbols not on the dynamic list will be local, please rewrite the patch
> to use forced_local rather than adding a new field to
> elf_link_hash_entry.

I don't know what forced_local semantics are exactly, so forgive me if I'm
spelling out the obvious: the symbols not specified as dynamic symbols
should be bound locally, but they should still be exported, for others to
link against.  If that is what forced_local does, nice, but from what I
read in elflink.c it seems that it's doing something more?

Ciao,
Michael.