This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] Addition of new option '--rlib' in linker for Renesas SH targets
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: Gina Verlekar <GinaV at KPITCummins dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 15:34:04 +0100
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Addition of new option '--rlib' in linker for Renesas SH targets
- References: <1F211FE03383644EAA6BB7A52FCD9B9B09282D@sohm.kpit.com>
I have modified the patch as per your comments and suggestions. Please
find attached herewith the modified patch.
I am sorry but I am still very unhappy with this patch. I think the
whole idea of having the convertrenesaslib program invoking both AR and
OBJCOPY is a bad idea. I really think that you should use a shell
script to do this, and that all that convertrenesaslib should do is
extract the object files from a Renesas format library and write them
into the current directory. The script can take care of the rest - ie
collecting them together again into a GNU format archive, removing the
underscore prefix and deleting the now archived object files. This will
be a much cleaner, simpler way to handle the problem. Plus it follows
the UNIX paradigm of having a set of small simple tools that each
perform one task, but which can be linked together to perform quite
complex operations. Plus it will remove all the command line allocation
and construction hassles that you obviously have in the current code.