This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [RFC] handling of forward references in expressions
- From: erik at dd dot nec dot com dot au (Erik Christiansen)
- To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich at novell dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 13:28:08 +1000
- Subject: Re: [RFC] handling of forward references in expressions
- References: <44CF35E9.76E4.email@example.com>
On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 11:07:21AM +0200, Jan Beulich wrote:
> I was about to submit the following patch, when I found that a few
> targets can't deal with expressions in expr_section. My question hence
> is - can someone see another solution to the original problem, or do I
> need to go through all affected targets and find where they make those
> incorrect assumptions?
Back in 2004, we encountered similar label-arithmetic problems on the
avr port. At
there are two examples and the beginnings of a code diagnosis. I chased
it from gas/config/tc-avr.c to the gas-generic expr.c file, before my
gumboots filled with mud.
Klaus Rudolph's very useful partial fix appears in
but that's avr-specific.
If you find a way to handle generic assembler arithmetic generically, it
would be cause for celebration and gratitude.