RE: Static Linking and Library Dependencies

Thanks, Nick, that's very helpful.

The problem for me has been that the intimate details of linking and
gcc, ar, ld, and libtool help but most of them assume knowledge that the
reader may not have who just happily does "./configure; make; make
install."  Ulrich Drepper's papers also help, but again dive too deeply
for me too quickly.

I would be happy to buy a good textbook on the subject if you have a
suggestion.

Thanks again.

-Tom