Re: unrecognized option `-dynamic'

Well I've attempted to build libtool from the 1.5.22 sources as well
and I run into the same issue.  That's why I originally attempted CVS.

I fear that I've left my build enviornment in too inconsistent of a
state to be repaird..

On 6/16/06, Ralf Wildenhues <Ralf.Wildenhues@gmx.de> wrote:
Hello Daniel,

* Daniel Corbe wrote on Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 10:32:36PM CEST:

> I apologize for cross-posting but I don't know where I should be
> loking to resolve this issue.

I think you may be running into more than one issue here.

> I'm attempting to rebuild libtool and binutils on Mac OS X 10.4.6 and
> I'm running into the following issue:

> /bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -no-undefined  -o
> libltdl/dlopen.la  -module -avoid-version libltdl/loaders/dlopen.lo
> -ldl
> libtool: link: rm -fr  libltdl/.libs/dlopen.a
> libtool: link: ar cru libltdl/.libs/dlopen.a libltdl/loaders/.libs/dlopen.o
> ranlib: unrecognized option `-q'
> Try `ranlib --help' for more information.
> ar: internal ranlib command failed

This looks like a bug in 'ar' to me.

> (binutils):
> /bin/sh .././libiberty/../mkinstalldirs /usr/lib
> /usr/local/bin/install -c -m 644 ./libiberty.a /usr/lib/./libiberty.an
> ( cd /usr/lib ; ranlib ./libiberty.an )
> *** Warning: inferring the mode of operation is deprecated.
> *** Future versions of Libtool will require --mode=MODE be specified.
> ranlib: warning: cannot infer operation mode from `./libiberty.an'
> ranlib: you must specify a MODE
> Try `ranlib --help' for more information.

This, however, looks really weird, for more than one reason:
The prefix should be 'libtool', not 'ranlib'.  The extra 'n' at the end
of the archive name looks like the computation for the echo command and
its use did not match.  Did you make sure both the Libtool macros and
the ltmain.sh file are from the same Libtool version?

Hmm.  The last time I looked at binutils, which was quite a while ago,
it wasn't ready for a recent Libtool version, but using and shipping
with the ltmain.sh and the macros of 1.4.x.  If that hasn't changed,
then some work is needed there.

> ranlib --dynamic and libtool --dynamic causes some of my other
> software builds to fail.

Hmm, where in the two above messages does '--dynamic' come into play?

> Is there a process I should be following to build both of these apps
> correctly?

Well, as long as binutils needs ancient Libtool-1.4.x, it seems it would
need this changed first.

> libtool is from CVS today and binutils is 2.16

But you are well aware that a CVS version isn't for the faint of heart?
The latest stable release of Libtool is 1.5.22.

Cheers,
Ralf