This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
RFC: Remove output_target in ld
- From: "H. J. Lu" <hjl at lucon dot org>
- To: binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 15:30:02 -0700
- Subject: RFC: Remove output_target in ld
ld has both output_target and ld_emulation, which has a target_name
field. Both of them are supposed to specify the output target name.
However, they aren't consistent, especially when a linker supports
different endians. Why do we need output_target? Can we set
ld_emulation correctly and use ld_emulation->target_name to replace
output_target. Also ld supports the GNUTARGET enviroment variable.
But we don't use it to set ld_emulation. I'd like to modify ld to
make ld_emulation consistent:
1. Initialize ld_emulation properly with
b. -m EMULATION.
and correct endian, based on -EL/-BL.
2. Use ld_emulation->target_name to identify the output target.