This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Binutils on arm : pls advice me how to proceed
- From: Pedro Alves <pedro_alves at portugalmail dot pt>
- To: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow at false dot org>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 20:03:21 +0100
- Subject: Re: Binutils on arm : pls advice me how to proceed
- References: <1146765307.4177.16.camel@dannypc> <20060504180348.GA5785@nevyn.them.org>
- Reply-to: binutils at sourceware dot org
Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 07:55:07PM +0200, Danny Backx wrote:I'm patient. :)
Pedro Alves and I sent some message on the list that indicate where we
think some of the problem areas are.
Clearly, something must be wrong with those messages, as there appears
to be little attention being payed to them.
Can someone help me by telling me what I'm missing ?
Am I sending the wrong information ?
Am I talking to the wrong public ?
Am I boring and should I just shut up ? :-)
The maintainers are always busy; it sometimes takes a long time and a
couple of tries to get a response. Patience is very important.
Yes, I hope that the cegcc project can grow into "the" toolchain for
wince development with
Fixes for WinCE don't normally get a lot of attention, because there's
a relatively small user base.
gnu tools. When I started using arm-wince-* tools, the thing that almost
kept me off, was the fact that
the user base was so disperse. Some patches here and there, a few other
places with prebuilt toolchains,
but no central identity, like say, cygwin or mingw. Well, actually not
quite true, there was/is GNUWINCE from
Voxware, but at the time I thought it was a dead project.
FWIW, I skimmed some of the patches that have been sent; #ifdefsI have to admit, I don't yet get the full picture of my own changes. I
based my work on making the head version of binutils
are rarely OK. Although some are probably needed since the WinCE
loader is so different from typical ARM loaders, it's important to
minimize them, and to figure out (A) what the differences are supposed
to be, and (B) where the most effective place to implement the changes
generate the same objects and images as the old (as in one year and a
half ago) did. I am sure some (as in most) #ifdefs there are in the
but to my limited knowledge they were the best place I could find that
would have minimum code changes.
I would love to hear some directions of how to clean them up.
Another thing that helps to make your changes clear is new
testcases; if there had been enough testcases for the special WinCE
needs, it probably wouldn't have broken.