Re: puzzled - old release works, newer doesn't

Hi Danny,

The old environment is based on gcc 3.4.2, gas 2.13.2, binutils 2.15.
(Yes there's a mixup there.) The new environment is using gcc 4.1 and
binutils 2.16. In all versions, the target platform is "arm-wince-pe".

The person who created this distribution explains the mixup by saying
that the GAS from 2.13 works, whereas the one in newer binutils doesn't.

My personal experience with the 2.16 release appears to confirm that.

Are you upgrading to the new GCC new GAS and new LD all at the same time ? If not then that might be the cause.

Are you aware of the --support-old-code linker switch which is specific to the arm-wince-pe target ? Using this might help you.

Using the latest binutils sources from CVS repository might also help. If not then I would recommend comparing a disassembly of a working binary and broken binary to see where there are changes. (Do not compare the object files, but linked binaries. This should allow you to find out how relocs may have been processed differently).