Re: Static build of binutils 2.16.1

> Yes it (make LDFLAGS="-all-static") works only  with make configure-host
> I tried to crosscompile after configure if i give make
> LDFLAGS="-all-static" i get the following error. I tried give a
> ac_cv_search_strerror=none required , then i got asprintf error. So
> can you suggest a solution for that
>
> nik@deb:/dev/shm/binbuild$ ~/binutils-2.16/configure

As Daniel stated, disparition of '-static' flag is a libtool issue (for some not
obvious compatibility reasons).

However, use of LDFLAGS=-all-static fires the now well-known error messages :

checking for library containing strerror... configure: error: Link
tests are not                                               allowed
after GCC_NO_EXECUTABLES.
make: *** [configure-libiberty] Error 1

This is because libiberty/configure tries to gather compiler informations by
compiling a program with the same LDFLAGS variable we previously pass on the
command line.
As gcc doesn't understand '-all-static' parm, configure believe that we are
doing some sort of crosscompiling, and set gcc_no_link=yes.

Perhaps, a work-around could be to create a new variable LTLDFLAGS which would
handle parameters dedicated to (and silently eaten by) libtool, and to add this
variable to the definition of LINK. Setting this LTLDFLAGS to "-all-static" when
LDFLAGS contains '-static' is a dirty libtool hack, but it should work..

Note that I have also tried to use LDFLAGS_FOR_BUILD or LDFLAGS_FOR_TARGET
without any best result.

Also Niklaus, I don't understand what you mean by 'configure-host'. Is it a
special procedure ?

Regards
Pierre