RE: Generating assembly code without macro-instructions

On 27 February 2006 16:07, Nikolaos Kavvadias wrote:

> Thanks DaveK and paul for your to-the-point responses. The reason
> behind my question is that I want to use an closed-source
> infrastructure for software toolchain generation which does not allow
> macros that expand to more than one machine instructions

  <boggle>  To my way of thinking, that just says that it doesn't allow macros
full stop!

> I understand that binutils are not responsible for generating these
> macros, they only have to interpret them; the compiler (e.g.
> mips-elf-gcc) is. But your response is insightful. However, binutils
> could produce a "real" assembly listing without the macro-instructions
> (is that one taken by "-l"?).

  The output you see from "objdump -d" will always have the real instructions
and not show the macros.  I don't know what the assembler does, but I think
the listing files are very closely tied to the input sources you find it, so
it's likely to output the "lhi" instruction with 8 bytes (2 words) of
instruction data next to it instead of just 4, but still likely to show the
original input form of the macro.  You can of course modify the assembler to
behave differently but I haven't ever looked at listing-generation so I can't
offer advice, except that it should be possible if it doesn't already do so.

    cheers,
      DaveK