Re: RFC: Rewrite copy_private_bfd_data in elf.c

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 01:26:55PM +0000, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi H. J.
>
> >I'd like to clean up copy_private_bfd_data in elf.c. It is supposed
> >to copy ELF program header. But it checks p_paddr in ELF progam header,
> >which isn't specified by ELF specification at all
>
> Actually it is specified:
>
>   p_paddr     On systems for which physical addressing is relevant,
>               this member is reserved for the segment's physical
>               address. This member requires operating system specific
>               information, which is described in the appendix at the
>               end of Book III.

Mine says

p_paddr
    On systems for which physical addressing is relevant, this member
is reserved for the segment's physical address. Because System V
ignores physical addressing for application programs, this member has
unspecified contents for executable files and shared objects.

> >and messs around progam header. I'd like to rewrite
> > copy_private_bfd_data to handle copying ELF program header properly.
> >It will
>
> >1. Copy the entire ELF program header if none of the sections
> >referenced by program header is removed. It won't change the order
> >of segments nor merge them.
>
> What about if sections have been added ?  Or if the size of any of the
> sections has changed ?  Or their load/run addresses have been changed ?
>  Or their attributes ?

In that case, we need something different since we are no longer
copying program header. We are rewritting program header.

H.J.