strip vs. nm vs. readelf

L.S.

I stumble across some apparent contradictory behaviour of the applications strip, nm and readelf.

This occurs when processing a shared lib "myLib.so" which has been subjected to the strip application as follows:

strip --strip-unneeded myLib.so

Next, when I invoke:

nm -a myLib.so

the output is (as expected):

nm: myLib.so: no symbols

Finally, when doing:

readelf -a myLib.so

a lot of information is emitted, including the names of symbols that I believed to be removed by strip.

Probably there is some misunderstanding on my part about what exactly it is that strip removes, what nm emits and/or what readelf emits.

Does anybody see what I fail to understand?

Thanks in advance,

Erik Leunissen