.comm symbol, 0

Is it correct that for ELF, as I would see at least as a reasonable
option, this produces a 1-byte common symbol, but for COFF (maybe
others) this produces an undefined extern? Shouldn't this be an error?

I'm asking because apparently only ELF sets the section for common
symbols to bfd_com_section, others rely on the value of the symbol to be
non-zero. If I want to finally resolve the symbol redefinition issues I
need to also be able to detect common ones, and S_IS_COMMON (due to the
fact just mentioned) doesn't reliably recognize them, nor are they
recognizable through S_IS_DEFINED.

Thanks, Jan