cannot open @value{top_srcdir}/../libiberty/at-file.texi or
/@value{top_srcdir}/../libiberty/at-file.texi: No such file or directory
make: [as.1] Error 2 (ignored)

Apparently, texi2pod.pl doesn't support "@include @value{...}"; it
doesn't expand the @value syntax.  For now, I would like to add the new
documentation inside:

@ifclear man
@end ifclear

so that it is still available in info pages.  I'd rather not try to fix
texi2pod.pl, since I don't really know perl very well, but if you think
I should before checking in the changes to as and ld, I will try.

Hmm - so this would mean that the man pages would not document the @file syntax ? I think that that would be a bad idea. In my opinion the best thing to do would be to fix texi2pod.pl, since that will presumably help everybody (who writes docs) not just us. But since I am not a perl hacker either I can quite sympathize with not wanting to muck about inside that script.

So instead, I would be happy with a patch that used the "@ifclear man ... @end ifclear" thunk as described above, but only if it also included a "@ifset man <short description of @file> @end ifset" thunk and also a comment saying "remove the @ifset man thunk and the @ifclear man prototectors once texi2pod.pl accepts @value".