Re: binutils, bfd library, debug.h/c files and so on...

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 03:03:23PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> writes:

> > > They are not currently in any library.  If somebody wants to put them
> > > into a library, I wouldn't object.  I don't think it would be too
> > > hard.
> >
> > There's definitely some benefit for a format-agnostic debug info
> > library - but what the formats can represent varies drastically, so it
> > seems like a substantial project.
>
> In principle all the basic stuff is there in debug.h.  It's true that
> it can't currently represent everything that DWARF can represent, but
> it can represent pretty much everything that anybody other than a
> debugger or a stack unwinder would care about.

Ah, binutils/debug.h; I thought we were talking about a bit of bfd.
It's much more complete than I'd expected.  I guess how useful it is
will depend on what you want to do with it :-)

> > Reading this thread I wonder if we
> > should just recommend libdwarf instead for DWARF-2.
>
> Definitely something to consider.  I haven't looked at libdwarf
> myself.

It's an extremely powerful tool, but of course dwarf-specific.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC