Re: [RFC] Additional targets for powerpc

Kumar Gala <kumar.gala@freescale.com> wrote on 09/23/2005 12:20:06 AM:

> Steve,
>
> Let's make sure not to over look the embedded and 32-bit processors.
> There are a number of variants here that include some user ISA
> extensions that you did not mention:
>
> 4xx MAC
> Book-E isel
> e500 embedded fp
> e500 SPE
>
> Are ones that come of the top of my head.  Additionally, I would say
> that Freescale has at least six different powerpc micro-architectures
> that it ships today:
>      8xx, 603, 7400, 745x, e500, e200, (e700 in design)
>
> Also, we have optimized some libc functions for 745x that take
> advantage of altivec and e500 that take advantage of SPE.
>
> Anyways my point is lets make sure that any discussion includes ALL
> of powerpc, not just the ones shipping from IBM :)
>
> - kumar

My proposal is focused on current PowerPC64 compliant processors and the
ISA supported in 32-/64-bit mode. This is important because 64-bit PowerPC
implementation have an expanded instruction set for 32-bit mode. I think I
have my hands full with that project.

If you have a Freescale implementations of the PowerPC64 Archecture I
would like to hear more.

You can propose additional targets for specific PowerPC32 processor
targets. Also e500 etc. is not PowerPC architecture complient and requires
a different ABI and a separate port in GLIBC. e500 is not covery by this
proposal.

Steven J. Munroe
Linux on Power Toolchain Architect
IBM Corporation, Linux Technology Center