Re: [RFC] Additional targets for powerpc

On Thursday 22 September 2005 23:23, Steve Munroe wrote:
> Introduction
>
> It has become increasingly clear that PowerPC processor family needs
> additional (machine) targets for the Linux distributions. At present,
> Linux only has two targets (powerpc32 and powerpc64, powerpc is synonym
> for powerpc32) for PowerPC. These targets only address the two operating
> modes (32- and 64-bit) and don't address the wide range of processor
> families and chips available. With only one target per mode, we are forced
> to compile for a common subset of powerpc instructions and default
> instruction scheduling.

Isn't the --with-cpu= gcc configure option sufficient?

This seems to work for Arm targets, which probably have as much variation as
PPC.
gcc is configured with --with-cpu=whatever or --with-arch=whatever, and
everything else else figures it out from what the compiler.

Paul