RE: RFC: TLS improvements for IA32 and AMD64/EM64T

Alexandre,

> Please read the document referenced in the patch, for
> starters.  In it you'll see the exact spelling of the coding
> samples is not final yet, and it doesn't make sense to
> maintain yet another copy of this until it settles down.

When it does, it'll be added to the ABI then.  Not before.  For now, it's OK to reserve the relocation numbers in this mailing list.

> Also, you'll find that the calculations are not quite
> possible to express in the way other relocations are
> expressed; suggestions are welcome.

State so, perhaps in a note, expanding what they mean.

> Finally, what's wrong
> with following the existing practice of referring to TLS
> specs elsewhere?

The intent is that the x86-64 ABI remains a stand-alone document as much as possible.  It's not quite there yet, but adding yet another external reference sets it back even further.

BTW, the TLS reference is slated to be incorporated into the x86-64 ABI.

> The point of this posting was more to reserve the relocation
> numbers for these purposes (the purpose of the relocations is
> quite solid already, even though the numbers have changed as
> recently as yesterday), but I'm yet to do some more
> performance tests with some minor variations of the code
> sequences to choose the best one.  I don't want to have to
> maintain all this information in sync between multiple specs
> documents and the several different packages that implement
> them; having a single specs document is much better for now.

That's fine.  When it reaches a mature state, patches against the ABI will be more than welcome.

Thanks,

Evandro Menezes                          GNU Tools Team
512-602-9940                                        AMD
evandro.menezes@amd.com                      Austin, TX