Re: RFC: TLS improvements for IA32 and AMD64/EM64T

On Sep 16, 2005, "Menezes, Evandro" <evandro.menezes@amd.com> wrote:

> Alexandre,
>> Here's a patch for the x86-64 ABI document that adds the new
>> relocations and references the new dynamic table numbers,
>> referring to the latest version of my specs on the web for details.

> Please add the respective calculations and coding examples.

Please read the document referenced in the patch, for starters.  In it
you'll see the exact spelling of the coding samples is not final yet,
and it doesn't make sense to maintain yet another copy of this until
it settles down.  Also, you'll find that the calculations are not
quite possible to express in the way other relocations are expressed;
suggestions are welcome.  Finally, what's wrong with following the
existing practice of referring to TLS specs elsewhere?

The point of this posting was more to reserve the relocation numbers
for these purposes (the purpose of the relocations is quite solid
already, even though the numbers have changed as recently as
yesterday), but I'm yet to do some more performance tests with some
minor variations of the code sequences to choose the best one.  I
don't want to have to maintain all this information in sync between
multiple specs documents and the several different packages that
implement them; having a single specs document is much better for now.

Thanks for your, ehrm, valuable feedback :-/