Address assignment

Hi all,
     I am trying to assign my own addresses to the different program
objects - data variables and functions. Is this done on the assembler
or the linker ? Can anybody give me pointers as to how I can do it.
Out of curiosity, do any checks happens to guard again address
portions overlapping.

I will appreciate any ideas
thanks
shrey