about writing a ld-extension to support linking 16-bit-gas code

Hello

gcc/gas's support to generate 16-bit code is very limited, mainly because it
just knows about the small/flat-memory modell. As a result you can
generate with the '.code16gcc' pseudo-opcode just a 64kb of code
maximum.

Unfortunately, i need more for the project i work for (bios-rom for
virtual machine), so i'm seriously thinking about writing my own little
linker, which takes object files, output them all in a binary, and patches
the near CALL/RET instructions to far ones.

Yet i'm not sure, if i shall write my own 'little' linker or try the
probably 'hard way' to extend ld accordingly. Maybe you guys are
uninterested in such an ld extension, maybe not. Just tell me if such a
patch would be of general interest for you.

Besides, all ideas, comments to my plan are welcome!
Thanks in advance!

josef