RE: excessive stab information

> .... I'd have said that the
> published-interfaces
> directory "foo" should be in the default search path so that published
> interfaces are accessible everywhere; the users can #include
> "bar.h".  And
> if someone wanted to create a private header file in some
> source dir called
> "bar.h", and was complaining that it would be overridden by
> the published
> "bar.h", well, that's just as much their fault as if they'd
> tried to create
> a private header file called "stdlib.h" and were complaining about the
> system's one overriding their own.

but then if you have 1000s of published directories, then the include
path becomes unwieldy and you need to change it for each new subsystem
that gets published. It also means that there's a risk of clashes if
someone's called their header file something generic - making sure that
each header file in each subsystem is uniquely named across the whole
system is unrealistic. By using a directory structure for the published
headers, we keep the compiler's include path manageable, it makes the
compiler find header files faster (ie it's not searching 1000s of
directories) and we avoid name clashes between sub-systems.

--
Andy, BlueArc Engineering