RE: excessive stab information

> > ...  Second, it seems to me that it will
> > slow down a stabs link slightly, ...

for us, it did speed it up a little!

> > ...  Most people do not refer to the same header file using two
> > different names.

This comes about as we "publish" headers that define public interfaces
to subsystems into a "public" directory that other subsystems can
#include from. We do this via symlinks. The "duplicate" stabs come about
by virtue of the publishing directory finding the original header
and the using directory using the published one.

This is not the first environment in which I've seen this technique
used.

> I don't think it's a good idea even then.  It assumes that
> the paths in
> stabs refer to files on the system where the linker is running.

... but that's a danger with the existing scheme without using realpath.
Given that the symbols within the BINCL would have to match exactly to
get duplicate stab suppression, I don't see that as a problem.

--
Andy, BlueArc Engineering