Re: Binutils 2.15.97 available

  Hi Nick,

--- Nick Clifton wrote:
> >   I have s strange problem with this version, but 2.15 works.
> >   Do you know what
> > Error: `dataPS2' can't be equated to common symbol
> >   means?
>
> It is an error message from the assembler.  Try compiling with the "-c"
> and "--save-temps" flags and then locate the line in the assembler
> source file where the error is flagged.  Presumably it will relate to
> this line in your source code:
>
> >   asm volatile (" dataPS2 = %c0 ": : "i" (&MOUSE.data.PS2));

  This C file is just an extract of an application which is compiling,
 assembling and linking with binutils-2.15.
  The lines of the assembler file does not look strange, the error is
 given at end of the mouse.s file.

  Just replacing
asm volatile (" dataPS2 = %c0 ": : "i" (&MOUSE.data.PS2));
  by:
asm volatile (" .equ dataPS2, %c0 ": : "i" (&MOUSE.data.PS2));
  does not change the error message:

/home/etienne/projet/toolchain/bin/as  -acdhls=mouse.lis -o mouse.o mouse.s
mouse.s: Assembler messages:
mouse.s:1902: Error: `dataPS2' can't be equated to common symbol
make: *** [mouse.o] Error 1

etienne@cygne:~/projet/gujin$ grep dataPS2 mouse.s
        movl    %eax,dataPS2
        movl    %eax,dataPS2 + 4
         .equ dataPS2, MOUSE+476

The MOUSE structure is a common structure:
        .comm   MOUSE,512,32

> You didn't say, but I assume that you are compiling for an x86 target ?

  Yes - a strange x86 target.

> My guess is that the assembler is no longer support the syntax you are
> using to assign a value to the "dataPS2" symbol.  Perhaps you need to
> change the above asm() statement to use the .set pseudo operator ?

  Note that I can initialise the MOUSE structure to zero and I no more
 have this assembler error - but I am not sure this behaviour of GAS
 is the intended one.

  Etienne.