MIPS assembler no longer "combines symbols in different segments"...

A recent change to gas seems to have broken it so that it no longer works with gcc-3.3. Configured as target=mipsel-linux

The .eh_frame code generated by gcc-3.3 contains things like this:

.4byte $LFB2-.

Where '$LFB2' is in .text and '.' is in .eh_frame. This worked well in 2.15 but for:

$ mipsel-linux-as --version
GNU assembler 050218 20050218

I am getting:

Error: operation combines symbols in different segments

for this.

Is there a good reason that this was changed?

If not can we change it back?

There are enough ld bugs in 2.15 that I want to use this snapshot, but I will probably have to resolve this issue first.

David Daney.