Re: Testsuite for avr-as

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 08:06:34AM -0500, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> > Some quick results, using DejaGnu-compatible .s/.d pairs, would be very
> > motivating, so I'm even tempted to refresh my TCL acquaintance, and try
> > just running them through "regexp_diff", once I figure out whether it's
> > a built-in, or we have to borrow it from one of the scripts.
>
> Heh, actually looking at the source would help...  or not.

It did. :-)

> It's in gas/testsuite/lib/gas-defs.exp.  (Actually copied all
> over; it's in other generic testsuites as well, just like
> run_dump_test.)

Thanks! Found it (after posting, of course.), together with
run_dump_test, which you had advocated. As hinted, it looks like just
the ticket.

> > To bash through a slab of .s/.d pairs for an assembler, which should
> > give very consistent output, regexp_diff and our 8-line bash script
> > would do the job, I suspect. Once some more test cases are happening,
> > the layers of DejaGnu flexibility-providing obfuscation could then be a
> > second step.
>
> You probably want to improve the ld testsuite for avr as well.
> Mostly the same thing, just in the ld directory.

Yeah, once we've got me up to (a good plodding) speed, better make the
most of it. ;-)

I'll digest your other very helpful advice, and have another go at
eliciting minimal ticking over from the dejagnu machinery.

Thanks again,
Erik