This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: as: redefinition of relocatable items fails
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at bigpond dot net dot au>
- To: Albert van der Horst <albert at spenarnc dot xs4all dot nl>
- Cc: bug-binutils at gnu dot org, binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:57:10 +1030
- Subject: Re: as: redefinition of relocatable items fails
- References: <20041124153750.GA9576@spenarnc.xs4all.nl>
On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 04:37:50PM +0100, Albert van der Horst wrote:
> .equ cannot handle redefinition for relocatable values.
True. Not trivial to fix, unfortunately. You'd need to keep old
definitions of symbols around for relocations. Something like:
- Add an old_def pointer to struct symbol, and keep old definitions on
- Modify all code that touches symbols to look in the old_def chain too,
eg. symbol resolution.
- Do something special when writing relocations if an old_def is used
and not converted to a section symbol. It might work to just use the
current symbol definition with an addend.
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre