This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Gas is broken for x86-64
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at bigpond dot net dot au>
- To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich at novell dot com>
- Cc: hjl at lucon dot org, binutils at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 20:01:11 +1030
- Subject: Re: Gas is broken for x86-64
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 09:56:13AM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
> >>> Alan Modra <email@example.com> 08.11.04 09:38:07 >>>
> >On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 09:20:22AM +0100, Jan Beulich wrote:
> >> I would think your patch should have added both suffix-less movsb
> >> movzb, or neither.
> >No. movsb is a string move instruction. movzb is an abbreviation of
> >movzbl or movzbw depending on data size.
> Certainly. But movsb is also a suffix-less variant of movsb[wlq], and
Huh? Of course it isn't. We can't allow that precisely because movsb
is a string move.
> since movz and movs are fully in sync with one another, allowing
> abbreviation of one should also allow the same for the other.
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre