Re: Mixing 32-bit and 64-bit DWARF2/3 sections

   Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 10:31:44 -0500
   From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org>

   On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 03:28:07PM +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
   > Currently GDB barfs when you use it on an executable that contains
   > compilation units that mix 32-bit and 64-bit DWARF sections.  Looking
   > at the (latest?) DWARF3 draft it doesn't seem to be unreasonable that
   > it does so:
   >
   >   "The 32-bit and 64-bit DWARF format conventions must not be
   >    intermixed within a single compilation unit."

   I'd read that as saying that GDB should support what you describe.
   This isn't mixing them within a single compilation unit.  What falls
   down?

No I'm really talking about mixing 32-bit and 64-bit DWARF format
within the same compilation unit.  In the case of OpenBSD/mips64 GCC
generates a 32-bit .debug_info section and .file directives that
contain the line info.  These .file directives are then converted by
gas into 64-bit .debug_line sections.

When GDB reads these it dumps core.  I'm working on patches to fix
this, but I'm not yet completely satisfied with them.

Mark