Re: [RFA:] elflink.c: Hide _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 06:37:12AM +0200, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> A long time ago, in
> <URL:http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2003-04/msg00117.html>,
> I suggested a patch to make the visibility of
> _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_ target-selectable through a bfd hook, with
> the intent on making it hidden, but keeping it visible to avoid
> breaking something obscure somewhere.  Alan Modra thought it'd
> be just as good to make it *always* hidden.  Here's the patch

Jakub's changes to decrease the number of emitted sections symbols
might interact badly with this change.  It might be a good idea to
test this on sparc before you go ahead.  The problem is that if
_GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_ is hidden any relocs against it will be
reduced to the .got section symbol, which may no longer be dynamic.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre