Re: Dependency bug in bfd/doc/Makefile.am

Hi Nick.

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Nick Clifton wrote:
> > The dependency for bfd.dvi on $(DOCFILES) is not in Makefile.in,
>
> Err, really ?  It appears to be in the bfd/doc/Makefile.in that I have,
> where at line 592 there is:
>
>    $(srcdir)/bfd.info bfd.dvi: $(DOCFILES) bfdsumm.texi bfd.texinfo
>
> which I assume has come from line 65 of bfd/doc/Makefile.am:
>
>    $(srcdir)/bfd.info bfd.dvi: $(DOCFILES) bfdsumm.texi bfd.texinfo

Hum, yes.  Still, it's ineffective here.  Try "make dvi", then
reverse the patch in
<URL:http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2004-10/msg00384.html>
(or a similar edit which changes the embedded documentation but
updates the timestamp) then "make dvi" again.  You'll notice
that mmo.texi is rebuilt, but not bfd.dvi.  This is FC2, so the
make version is 3.80-3.

Oh, I see that when I run make a second time after that, bfd.dvi
*is* rebuilt!  There is a dependency bug, but my analysis was
wrong.  (I was confused because there's no DOCFILES dependency
on line 399: "bfd.dvi: bfd.texinfo" but should have looked
further.)

Looks like the move-if-change construct is misfiring.

brgds, H-P