Re: [rfa] Add bfd_runtime

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> writes:

> > > So how would you solve this problem?  Given a memory access method and
> > > a starting offset, construct a bfd containing a list of sections
> > > constructed using both the segment and section information in the
> > > inferior?
> >
> > I would write a new BFD target vector; e.g., elf32-i386-runtime.
>
> Ugh, is that really necessary?  It would mean architecture-specific
> code to support this generic ELF concept, and I don't see any useful
> hooks in the elf backend vector anyway...

I'm not arguing for architecture-specific code.  The code should be
written in a generic way to support any architecture, and
elf32-i386-runtime would just be a modification of elf32-i386 which
called this new generic code to dig up the runtime information.

My argument is just that we should have a different target vector for
this type of thing.  I'm basing this on Andrew's description of what
is needed, and on his arguments for introducing bfd_runtime as a
parallel to bfd_object, et. al.

Ian