Re: as

Hi Bill,

    I've read over the docs in binutils-2.14 and still haven't quite learned
how to generate a new assembler. I know CPU architecture files are needed
for i386. But I keep geting errors in trying to compile.

The 2.14 sources include full support for the i386 part so you should not need to create any new architecture files.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to compile these 2 packages for use by
themselves? Ld and as?

You should be able to create these tools by following the notes in the top level README file of the binutils sources and also the README file in the binutils/ subdirectory.

Note - version 2.15 of the sources has just been released so you might want to download that tarball.

If you still have problems you can always post a more specific email to this list describing what you are doing and what is going wrong.