RE: cvs HEAD fails building bfd: msgfmt not found

    Hi Dan,

  Nope, I didn't try that, since I didn't need it last time I did a cvs
build a few weeks ago.  In fact, I have gettext installed:

dk@mace /usr/build/obj> gettext --version
gettext (GNU gettext-runtime) 0.12.1
Copyright (C) 1995-1997, 2000-2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Written by Ulrich Drepper.

but not msgfmt.  That's always been the case; cygwin comes with a gettext
package that hasn't been updated since 10Aug2003, and that has always had
gettext and the related libs but hasn't included msgfmt except in
development versions.  I dunno why it never crashed before.  I don't have an
old build lying around, otherwise I'd see what it did at that point.  I've
looked at the CVS and can't see any obviously relevant changes in the
src/bfd/po directory, but then again who knows what could change elsewhere
in the autotool infrastructure and have a knock-on effect.

  Do you suppose it's possible that when I've done CVS builds before, some
kind of generated files were already uptodate (having been recently
regenerated in CVS) and so there was no need for msgfmt to run?  (I don't
know how gettext works or even what are its inputs and outputs, although I
know it's something to do with .po and .gmo files).

  Otherwise I'm going to have to conclude that I must have had the cygwin
development version of the gettext package (which *does* have msgfmt)
installed and absent-mindedly downgraded/uninstalled it at some point.
Right now, all I know for 100% sure is "But it never *used* to do that!"

    cheers,
      DaveK