Re: [RFD] New binutil 'objsplit'

Dave Korn wrote:

4)  Or should I integrate it into ar, despite the fact that doing so would
basically involve large chunks of code duplication from objcopy into ar (all
the symbol table gc mechanics, frex) with all the grief that implies.  [ Can
you tell I don't like this idea?! ]

There may be better places to do this but I will leave tha to those more knowledgeable on binutils. It could have side-effects I can't foresee.

From my perch as RTEMS maintainer, I can see where integrating it into
ar would yield high payoff with little impact on how programs are built
and linked.  We have had to go to pains over the years to split files
into small either single functions or a small set of tightly related
functions in order to reduce application footprint.  Libraries and
applications which built libraries before linking a main would benefit
with no impact.

--joel