Re: Problem with linker with binutils-040414

Hi Guys,

> The [BFD] library should never abort

Alan Modra wrote:

Yes, and gcc should never ICE. The situation is the same, I think.

Similar, but
a) GCC handles its ICEs more gracefully than does BFD. (Well unless we improve BFD).
b) GCC is not a library, it is an entire application. It is able to detect and handle is internal errors in an entirely consistent manner.

BFD is a library, and it should not dictate error handling policy to its users. Imagine if GCC used the BFD library but could not generate its ICE messages because the BFD library aborted before giving GCC the chance to intervene.