Re: OOPS and linux

"Vineet Sharma, Noida" <vineets@noida.hcltech.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>            I was just going through the trends of software, and some
> questions that i feel to ask are as follow:
>

> 1) When all other software be it any application etc are moving to
> OOPS(object oriented) approach. Then why is it that OOPS has not been tried
> on compiler and other tool chain development(specially for linux)?
>
>     * Is there any technical issue?
>     * Or simply no one ever dared to try it?
>
> 2) Is OOPs really has its advantage in compilers and tool chain development?

Object-oriented programming is not a magic bullet.  It has its
advantages and its disadvantages.  For compiler technology, it is not
nearly as useful as it is for (say) graphical user interfaces.
Data-driven programming is much more effective, and you will find that
this style is heavily used.

For the GNU toolchain there is an additional concern, which is
portability.  To first order, it is not possible to write truly
portable code in any language other than C.  C, as you know, does not
lend itself to an object-oriented style, although it can be done.

And finally, rewriting an existing piece of software in a different
style or programming language, just for the sake of the new style or
language, is the sort of exercise that introduces more bugs and more
confusion than it helps.

> This message and any attachment(s) contained here are information that is
> confidential,proprietary to HCL Technologies and its customers, privileged
> or otherwise protected by law.The information is solely intended for the
> individual or the entity it is addressed to. If you are not the intended
> recipient of this message, you are not authorized to read, forward,
> print,retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you
> have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by
> return e-mail and delete it from your computer.

Do not append this kind of disclaimer to mail sent to public mailing
lists; they either have no legal force at all, or they mean that
everyone should delete the message unread.

zw